Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Fujifilm X30 is a lovely little walking around camera


Many of our neighbors are what I would call serious gardeners. This year, because of the cicadas, many of the fruit trees in the neighborhood are swaddled in anti-bug netting. Normally, I wouldn’t stop to take a photograph of a little peach tree, but when it is covered in a translucent veil, it suddenly becomes much more visually appealing — and photographable. 

Lately, I’ve become fascinated with the low-resolution digital point-and-shoots from five to ten years ago. In their heyday, these cameras were positioned as state-of-the-art imaging devices and were designed to appeal to serious photographers. Now that they are old and the technology inside is out-of-date, it is possible that other, more aesthetic properties, are easier to discern and perhaps appreciate. I’ve certainly found that to be the case. And so, over the past couple of months, I’ve picked up a trio of these older cameras, the Olympus XZ-1, the Canon Powershot G11, and, most recently, the Fujifilm X30. Each has its own charms and can reward the shooter with very fine images and even prints if they are not too large. Perfect for self-published books or zines. 

I remember when the X30 came out. At the time, I thought it was an overpriced hipster camera. But recently, I picked up a barely used copy for pennies on the dollar, and I’ve discovered what a lovely camera it actually is. I particularly enjoy using the film simulation modes that deliver images requiring almost no post-processing. It’s sensor is only a little bit bigger than the one in my iPhone, with the same resolution. But the images tend to be much nicer, and that is down to the quality of the lens as well as the jpeg engine.