Saturday, June 5, 2021

Camera KonMari


Over the past year and a half, I've picked up a few extra cameras and lenses here and there as a way to cope with things in the world. Nothing too crazy mind you -- I can still comfortably make my house payment each month -- but I sure have acquired a few extra goodies, there's no point in denying it. Cameras and lenses to facilitate experiments in seeing differently, to capture light in new ways, to allow me to try out things like pixel shift resolution, and to shoot with the film cameras of my childhood dreams. While there is absolutely no guilt, all this stuff does occupy mind space, and carrying all this mental baggage around with me every day has recently reached critical mass. So, I am in the process of thinning the herd. The most painful decision was parting ways with my beloved Leica Q. The fact of the matter is that I don't enjoy shooting with a 28mm field of view all that much. Red dot or no. In fact, my preferred use of the camera was in its macro mode. How crazy is that?!

I'm not a perfect Kondo-er though, because one of the biggest joys of the process for me was seeing the check at the end. That will help ease the pain of a recent car repair, too.