Thursday, June 24, 2021

Getting to know a place (and a new camera)


Although I like the figure-ground relationships in this photograph well enough, I think I will ultimately be able to capture a more satisfying composition once I get to know the location a bit better. Time will tell. In the meantime, I've been enjoying working with a new digital camera I was able to afford by selling off a bunch of gear I had accumulated over the pandemic. One of the properties of the modern digital files that I really like is the huge dynamic range. I've been able to get control of the way highlights roll off in a way that is reminds me a little bit of shooting with film. The other thing is the image stabilization system. The technology has matured to the point where I am astonished by some of the results that are possible. Under the right conditions, I can hand hold shots with a shutter speed of 1 second. That is just crazy to me. And bad news for my tripod :-)