Friday, June 4, 2021

Digicam madness


I recently completed my twice yearly image archiving process, which is how I became infatuated with the low resolution images from old CCD-based cameras like the Canon Powershot G2. I thought about picking one up again, but ultimately decided a better strategy would be to get a more modern camera that I had never owned before. Something that I'd missed out on back in the day, if you dig. So I looked at the G9 - G12 series of Powershots, the most recent models with CCD imagers in them. At this late date, the differences in specs among the various models are of no particular consequence to the modern photographer, so after looking at the available inventory online, I ended up snagging an almost new G11 for about $125. That was also a nice way to satisfy the desire for a shiny new thing without breaking the bank. To boot, it produces surprisingly nice results, and I am thinking of using it on a project or two just for the extra spark of creativity it brings to the table. The 10 MP files are fine for a zine type of project and the old school color, noise and dynamic range properties give a pleasing and coherent aesthetic. No one need ever know the secret, either, which just adds to the fun. So, I've been taking the camera with me everywhere. 

Recently, I've made the decision to quit worrying and just trust science, and have been getting back out into the world a bit more. I don't think my friend thought I was being obnoxious at all when I pulled out the G11 to grab this shot from the outdoor patio where we were having lunch. It is a nimble little tool, far more nimble than I was after my plate of fried catfish.