Saturday, June 12, 2021

Common as cockroaches


When we were little, my brother and I always shared a bedroom. One night when we were living on the island of Guam, I remember getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and seeing at least a dozen large cockroaches crawling around on my brother’s shirtless back as he slept, blissfully unaware of the thirsty insects drinking his sweat. It really freaked me out! Soon though, I quit noticing the roaches because, on a tropical island, they are literally everywhere. It’s kind of like the little cicada in this image. They have been so plentiful this year that I didn’t notice this little guy until after the exposure was made. I had been concentrating on the ripple patterns in the bird bath. There was a pause in the rain and every time there was a gust of wind, water droplets fell from the trees and into the pools of water.