Monday, January 18, 2021

Tofu and radishes...

Sometimes it takes a decade for me to cross an item off my bucket list. It probably makes sense to start picking up the pace a little bit to avoid a mad rush at the end. For whatever reason, I have always wanted to make tofu at home, but I've just never gotten around to trying. I even bought a very detailed book about the craft. Well, this past weekend, through a confluence of mysterious forces, I finally got around to making a batch of homemade tofu. And, I am glad I did. It was really straightforward (far easier than reading about it, actually) and the results were delicious.

Here is an image of my chunk of tofu floating in its water bath. I like the pattern that the cheesecloth imparts to the surface of the tofu because it reminds me of other kinds of cheese I've made. Who knew that tofu could be so photogenic?

Another thing I've tried my hand at from time to time over the years is gardening. I remember two or three decades ago spending the better part of a weekend afternoon digging a hole in the red clay in the back yard of my little rental house, mixing in some potting soil with the intent of growing some French green beans. You see, they weren't commonly available in the local Piggly Wiggly in those days, sad to say. I was so pleased to see the seedlings come to life that I could hardly wait to plant them in the garden. By the time I got home from work a day later, my heart was broken, as the little transplants had burnt to a crisp in the Spring sun. Fast forward to the present day, I planted some arugula and radishes at the end of the summer with a simple goal: harvest two salad's worth of produce. 

I have to say that the micro salads were pretty tasty. And just look at my lovely radishes. The big one is about the size of the nail on my pinky.