Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Panasonic LX3: digicam of the stars

I came across a short film about the photographer John Gossage recently. Full disclosure: Gossage makes it to my personal top ten list, at least for this phase of my photographic journey. Anyway, I think the video was made within the last 3-4 years in connection with the publication of one of his recent books. I noticed he had a small and relatively ancient digital camera slung over his shoulder during the interview. I am ninety-nine percent sure it was the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. Damn! I owned that camera back in the day and I really loved it, all 10 megapixels worth. It really was a wonderful little everyday carry camera, including being pretty stylish as well a good imager. And isn't it cool when we discover we've used the same gear as a well known artist?


I remember that I especially enjoyed taking the LX3 to the various greenhouses and garden shops around town in order to have something to do while my wife was picking out new plants for the yard. A greenhouse is one of a photographer's best friends.

I have to say that I think the 10 MP files of the little LX3 hold up pretty well after over a decade of sitting around on my hard drive. I enjoyed finding the image below in my catalog and converting it to black and white in modern software.


These days, most of us use our phones for visual note taking like this. Hopefully the files we make will hold up as nicely as the ones from the LX3.