Thursday, January 21, 2021

Streaming landscapes

We've been streaming a lot of movies and television shows during the past 10 pandemic months. It was only a matter of time before I would start photographing the screen, right? I mean, one of the attractions of streaming in the first place is as a substitute for travel in a time of restricted movement. So, I have started a little series of streaming landscapes. I doubt I will do anything too serious with it, but perhaps I will feel a bit different once we are on the other side of the pandemic.

Traveling back to what I imagine were the 1960s. Leica R9, 135 mm f/2.8. Lomo Berlin 400 film.

We were watching a spy movie of some sort, and I grabbed this frame using the same gear as for the first image.

I've gotten some interesting results and it has been a bit of fun. Who knows, maybe I'll find a real use for these yet.

Funny, I was talking to a photographer friend on the phone the other day and mentioned that I shoot the TV sometimes. Turns out, she does something similar. She uses a slow shutter app on her iPad to make images from films she watches. 

People have been shooting their screens for a long time, even before Lee Friedlander's famous little book. There is an interesting history there that we should dive into at some point in the future.