Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Can your photographs of other people's art be considered art in their own right?

I was taking a load off in the main lobby of the High Museum of Art in Atlanta when my attention was diverted to how the surface of a large painting by Ellsworth Kelly was changing as the ambient light fluctuated. I'm that kind of person. I was motivated to frame up and take a shot.

I don't think this image can be considered a documentary photograph of the original artwork, if for no other reason than it doesn't show the entire piece. That said, I feel that it does successfully record one aspect of my experience of contemplating the piece, namely my interest in how the shadow cast by the canvas interacts with the painted surface and the wall behind. Leica R8, 35 mm Summicron, Kodak Portra 400. Notice how the old lens adds a nice vignette to all of the images I took that day. Saves time in post.

In the image below, I did not wish to include the original sculpture in the frame at all, choosing instead to place attention solely on the shadow cast on the gallery wall.

Perhaps spending a few hours in a museum experiencing art is a form of walking meditation and taking photographs along the way a means of recording that quasi-dreamstate?