Sunday, January 10, 2021

Homing in

A while back, I made a little spur-of-the-moment trip to Columbus, GA on a crisp sunny winter morning. I had the Nikon F3 with me, but in my rush to get going, I only brought one lens along, the famous 105 mm f/2.5. That was just the lens that happened to be mounted at the time. The lens is justly well respected for making portraits, but its field of view is a bit tight for walking around a city, I think. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day, and I wasn't about to leave the lovely F3 in my bag, so I thought I would just focus my attention on interesting details as I strolled through the historic part of downtown.


The lens provides sharp and contrasty images on film, but I remember that it also worked nicely paired with a Nikon digital camera I had back in the early years of the 21st century.

In general, I like the images I came home with that day, although you'd never know where they were taken due to the tight perspective. It was just how things turned out with my attention homed in on shooting architectural details. Not a big deal for me as I'll certainly be back!


Indeed, it is worth mentioning that Columbus is a very pleasant smallish sized city to visit for a day if you have not been there before.