Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Throw away culture

Conventional wisdom (Time magazine, for what it's worth) has it that the first Christmas wreath was made from the branches that had been trimmed from the tree. There was less of a throw away culture back then, we are told. We have a fake tree in our house owing to my allergies to all things conifer, so I have no direct experience with the matter. I'll take Time at their word for now.

If I had come across this scene in the summer, I might have gravitated to 'nest' as metaphor, but 'tis the season, so maybe 'wreath' is more apt? At any rate, if you're looking to reinforce a nascent optimism, either will work, I think.


This image was taken with a workman like digital camera and a 35 mm lens. I have to say, I really like the field of view of a good old 35 mm lens.

I saw this little tableau on a recent walk and photographed it using a really old digital camera. While the camera is not that great, I really like the lens, so I put up with it. Funny how that works sometimes.  


Looking at this image, I guess we do throw out a lot of stuff. I considered grabbing one of these little pumpkins to make a pie, but then noticed the splatter of paint, and thought better of it. 

Well, it makes a decent composition, so maybe it isn't a total waste after all.