Wednesday, December 16, 2020

No one cares about your process

Every day we go for a brisk 45 minute walk that covers just under three miles. That, coupled with pushing around some weights and enduring 30 min of yoga several times a week, has kept us from spreading out too much over the past nine months. Walking turns out to be a very pleasant way to burn a few calories since you can chat, too, while you exercise. From another perspective, of course, we've actually accomplished exactly nothing by walking, since we depart from and return to the exact same location (for me that would be the sofa). 

The first image was taken using a digital camera and converted to black and white using software to simulate the look of film. The same software allows you to add a black border to the image, which I thought looked cool and added to the retro vibe. By the way, this image was not taken during the pandemic; the reason the streets are empty is because the temperature was about 10° F that morning.


 

The second image was captured on Ilford XP2 Super using a Kowa Six and the 85 mm f/2.8 lens. I think it is difficult, if not impossible, to tell that this image was made using equipment from the mid-1960s. Possibly that is down to the quality of the optics and the ultra fine grain of the XP2 Super. What other properties of the photograph might indicate it was captured on film?


I wonder if I've developed a 'walker's physique' over the past 9 months?! None of my friends or aquaintances have mentioned this, so I suspect no one really cares. But they tell me they are happy I am in good health. That being said, I still look forward to walking every day.