Monday, December 21, 2020

Suspend your disbelief!

Are you more interested in observing photographic properties, or in experiencing a photograph? I'm not trying to be 'judge-y', just curious, is all. I mean, there are numerous endlessly fascinating properties of a photograph to explore, if not to optimize, if that is your thing. Bokeh, sharpness, depth-of-field, micro contrast, all of it. Then, there are the various metrics pertaining to the output to consider. 

My son told me not too long ago that he often streams movies on his phone with whatever ear buds are at hand. How big is your screen and how many channels does your sound system have? Does it matter? To be honest, I won't watch a horror movie no matter how lo-fi the system, because I know I'll be scared out of my mind regardless and will have nightmares for weeks.


Does our ability to suspend disbelief have to do with how many of our sensory 'channels' are involved in the overall experience? Would it help to listen to music while experiencing photographs?

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of John Cage and Mieczyslaw Weinberg. Interestingly, the subtitle of Weinberg's 10th Symphony is, 'Lines that have Escaped Destruction'. That is an important part of our project, I think.