Sunday, December 20, 2020

On travel

If asked, I would say that one of the things I missed the most this year is traveling freely, taking road trips on a whim, things like that. Which makes sense at first blush, but if these excursions are so meaningful, why are there some I seem to have no memory of, even when looking at a photograph I took to document the trip? 

Apparently, we stayed in this cute little motel on a road trip long ago, but what were we up to? I have no idea. Was I wrapped up in job stuff, and is that where the empty spaces in memory occur? Is this image photographic evidence of being obsessed with work?! Ugh.



Over the years, I've tried my hand at any number of low fidelity 'art school' cameras, like the Holga, Smena 8M, and various pinhole contraptions. Most of the images I've made with these cameras have the staying power of certain motels I've visited, but the pinhole image below is an exception.


This photograph was made only a few hours from home, and I find that I love the image of the lonely cloud and its shadow more as time goes on. It is on it's own unknowable journey, and I feel I'm being invited to come along. 

Hmm. I've always been a little afraid of going up in a hot air balloon, but in the future, maybe I will.