Sunday, December 27, 2020

Play with your food

I was grocery shopping earlier this year and came across some organic honey that included a large chunk of the comb in the jar. This brought back a vague but pleasant memory of chewing on a piece of the comb as a kid, so I purchased the jar of organic honey instead of the stuff in the cute little plastic bear container. 

Suffice it to say that the honeycomb was far more interesting to photograph than it was to chew. Lighting was a bit tricky, though, as honey is a very reflective surface as are the walls of the comb. But, my trusty Rolleiflex SL66 and my Photoshop skills proved adequate.


Some might object to adjusting scanned film negatives in Ps, but I'm willing to go to hell and back as long as the image looks the way I want at the end.

Later, I switched things up and went to my digital camera for a closer look at the honey itself. The abstract organic shapes were very appealing and rewarding to photograph.


Sorry, mom, I'm gonna keep playing with my food.