Saturday, December 26, 2020

Give a dog a bone

While it might be very nice indeed to find a shiny new or vintage camera waiting for you under the tree on Christmas morning, let's be honest, it's not that likely to happen. Best to just get over it. On the other hand, there are many things that are superior to that lump of coal you actually deserve. I always appreciate it when I find something interesting to photograph in my stocking. As an aside, a lump of coal might actually be interesting to shoot, but please don't tell any of my friends, I'll handle that on my own.

At any rate, sometimes the stocking stuffer is just an object, such as this ceramic piece. This photograph was taken with the Rolleiflex SL66. I really dig the result. The other nice thing is that these objects can spruce up your studio environment when they are not being photographed. That is what the managers call a 'win-win' situation, I believe. Hmm, probably not, but you know what I mean.


Sometimes, of course, the object is name-able, like a vase. This one was shot digitally. Once I study it a bit more, I will go back in with the Rolleiflex, you know I will. 


What I am trying to say is, your photographer friend will keep themselves occupied indefinitely with a gift like this. In other words, giving a photographer the gift of something photographable is kind of like giving your dog a bone.