Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Pinhole FTW



My wife was wiped out from a day of hard work, so I was walking alone yesterday. What better camera to bring along on a solo outing than a pinhole? I could work as slowly as I pleased without messing up the rhythm of the walk. But it wasn't my grandfather's pinhole camera I had with me. No, it was the Woodbläk 66, a thoroughly modern affair, that I've come to really enjoy shooting. Given the late afternoon light, I decided to work handheld using HP5+. With a focal ratio of 120, I knew my exposures were going to be in the 1/2 to 1 sec range, so I was searching for interesting value masses that might look okay with some motion blur. It is the time of year for magnolias, and this one was illuminated by direct sunlight. I developed the film right away and scanned in the negs after dinner for a pretty quick turn around. Split toning helped achieve a nice contrast between leaves and flowers.