Monday, June 20, 2022

I Ain't No Dang Luddite!


I certainly appreciate old and overlooked cameras and lenses, and I love demonstrating to myself that they are capable of producing great images to this day. And, of course, I also still enjoy shooting film and even working in the darkroom from time to time. But I ain't one of them Luddites, neither. It's more about trying out and enjoying all the options available to me as a photographer, old and new. I'll take the prix fixe over the giant ribeye all day long, you know what I mean? There are a number of aspects of modern cameras that I am particularly enamored of, none more than image stabilization. I love being able to ditch the old tripod for 95% of what I do. For example, the shot above was made using a stabilized full frame camera and a macro lens at near 1:1 magnification. Shooting hand held at shutter speeds near 1 sec really does open up options for new kinds of images to be made.