Friday, May 27, 2022

Storied

 

One of the most interesting things to me about older homes is that they often have a unique history. Things that happened within their walls, famous or infamous people who once lived there, stories that essentially beg to be told over dinner and drinks. I used to know the folks who owned this house located not too far from the Tappan Zee Bridge. They're both gone now, but I still remember them both, and some of their tales about this wonderful place. For instance, about how Edward Teller, the famous physicist, had a special alarm system installed when he lived there, a direct line to the local police. 

The house I currently live in is far less storied, but was once owned by a man who spent several years here under house arrest for embezzlement. Nobody famous, a local politician, just a garden variety asshole in other words. I keep hoping to find a bag of cash under the floorboards, but so far... nothing.

Good light to you this weekend!