Saturday, May 14, 2022

Quirky, Elderly Cameras


Every once a while it is fun to shoot with cameras or lenses with personality. Semi broken, I mean. Old. For instance, I have an Aires rangefinder that requires a hard counterclockwise twist of the lens to insure that the shutter will fire. It doesn't get used very often... On the other hand, the photograph above was made with a different elderly camera, the 64 year old Minolta V2 rangefinder from 1958. Its main claim to fame is a top shutter speed of 1/2000 sec, which means you can shoot wide open at f/2 in daylight. Pretty rad. The lens is an uncoated 45 mm f/2 that gives pleasant, old school results. Alas, the camera came back from service with the shutter firing about a stop too fast. Rather than throwing any more money at the problem, I just compensate when shooting. Don't know about you, but I like how my old film cameras connect me to an earlier time in our history.