Monday, May 30, 2022

Quote of the Day: EM Forster


“How can I tell what I think till I see what I say?”
                                                    --E.M. Forster

I found this quote in the middle of a NYTimes article about the artist Christopher Wool, who uses photography as a part of his overall artistic practice. While it must feel amazing to get featured in the Times, the link to an article from two decades ago describing Wool's work as 'unrelievedly dull' must smart just a little. Why do they always do that? Oh well, sounds like his paintings are selling like hotcakes, so, like, whatever. We all tend to draw our own conclusions about art these days anyway it seems.

I guess the photographic version of this statement would go something like: "How can I tell what I think till I see what I saw?" A bit clunky. Somehow, just extrapolating from Forster seems better. But the concept of making a photobook from time to time to see how your work hangs together, that is a pretty solid idea that would be a good part of anyone's process. 

Enjoy the holiday as best you can...