Sunday, May 29, 2022

A Bridge Too Far?


I've always had a bit of a soft spot in my otherwise cynical heart for the so-called 'bridge camera'. Historically, I guess this term had meaning. One could look it up if one wanted, I suppose, but these days it seems like one of those bridges to nowhere you read about in the tabloids. Or maybe a bridge to the past. Yeah, that actually seems pretty much spot on. Anyway, I picked up a really nice copy of a bridge camera that I somehow missed when it came out in 2011. The Fujifilm X-S1. The lens runs from an equivalent of about 24 mm on the wide end to a magnificent 624 mm on the long end. That, dear reader, is the longest telephoto presently in existence here at the Albus & Fergie world headquarters. The camera is equipped with a 2/3" sensor that gives very nice results that hold up reasonably well today. The image above was taken at an ISO of 640 and the digital noise looks very much like the shadow areas of scanned Tri-X.