Friday, February 25, 2022

Sometimes You *Can* Get Some Satisfaction


I am not quite sure what to make of the plethora of boutique films that are available these days. Of course, it is a great 'problem' to have. On the one hand, although quite fun to experiment with, many of these emulsions are not what I would want to shoot everyday. And on the other hand, if a special film is useful for a particular application, I seem never to have it with me at the appropriate time. Oh well. What I tend to do is grab a roll of the unique film du jour and go out shooting for fun. Recently, I reached for some Washi Z film. Due to its near IR sensitivity I needed to shoot with a red filter on the lens, and the only lens I have that would accommodate the single red filter in my possession was was the old Canon FD 35 mm f/2.8 TSE. So, I mounted it onto the Canon EF and hit the road. Overall, I was very pleased with the results, even though the red filter cost 3 stops of light (EI = 50). Owing to the contrast of the light on that day, I tended to prefer the look of the images with a split tone treatment applied. 

Good light, NIR or visible, this weekend.

Tasting notes: Canon EF camera, Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 TSE lens, Washi Z film, toned in Ps.