Saturday, February 19, 2022

Learning From Audiophiles


An acquaintance of mine is an audiophile who is able to reliably perceive differences in sound between various types of speaker cables. The fact that I can’t hear these things has likely saved me a good deal of money over the years. I’m plenty happy with my shit cables. Are there discernible differences in images captured using various sensor technologies? An art historian I once knew was a connoisseur of the Foveon sensor. Me? I’m still deciding whether the sensor matters enough to care about, but I have no doubt that there are photographers out there who can reliably spot a photograph captured using a CCD sensor from one made using CMOS technology the way some folks can accurately identify an image shot on film. What I do know is that my teenaged CCD camera did a phenomenal job of rendering these tulip magnolia flowers.

Tasting notes: Olympus E-500 camera, Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 macro lens.