Saturday, November 7, 2020

Subject, camera, photographer, memory...

We choose to take a photograph because we feel a personal connection to the subject. There is a link between the thing photographed, the camera, and the photographer. When we revisit a photograph after a period of time has elapsed, we often cannot remember the details, or even why we made the photograph in the first place. The action of time on memory depends on our experiences and is fundamentally different than it is for a photograph, which is basically unchanged over time.

Often, how we choose to post-process or print a photograph changes over time as well.

Here is a photograph I took several years ago in Ventura, California, about an hour away from where I grew up in Los Angeles. This image was captured using the Leica R8, the 35 mm f/2 lens, and Ilford HP5+. It was developed and scanned at a lab, and is therefore perhaps the best representation of the experience between me, the beach at sunset and the gear I had with me at the time.


That being said, if I were to print out the image today, I might go with something like the following. You see, I'm going through a bit of a warm-toned image phase right now. Back in the day, it was important to me to honor the image on the ground glass, so to speak, whereas now, I am conjuring my inner James Fee more frequently.


On the other hand, the original experience and the passage of time do interact to alter our perception of the landscape, I think. With modern software, you could really push the processing envelope, with a result such as that below. Closer to Fee?


A bridge too far, or a more honest way to represent the effects of time and experience on my memory of that moment? Who knows. But giving myself permission to move away from what is on the ground glass -- that has been wonderful! This treatment also wipes out the distracting elements in the bottom right of the frame.