Friday, November 20, 2020

Giacometti people

With Fall already upon us and Winter rapidly approaching, the sun is much lower in the sky, elongating the shadows in the afternoon when we walk. Generally, I find it preferable not to walk alone, and I am lucky to have two companions with me on most days, my wife and a camera. It helps a lot if your human accomplice practices Tai Chi while you look for compositions in the landscape. That way, no one gets too bored, and you can encourage each other to keep up a decent tempo when you are moving forward.

I think we look like Giacometti people, like winter trees after their leaves have fallen to the ground. Over the course of a few weeks last Fall, I took a whole series images like this, chose the better ones, and made a dozen or so copies of a zine to give away to family and friends. They probably just tucked their copies away somewhere -- hopefully to be rediscovered many years hence. I have my fingers crossed that their future surprise will bring back fond memories. 

Here is another image from the zine; we got a little creative with the arm position for this one.

By the way, in this set, one image was made using a digital camera while the other was recorded on film. Which is which is probably pretty obvious, right? Each light capturing medium brings some unique characteristics to the party, I find. It's nice to shoot film when you want the look of a particular emulsion, and to shoot digital when you want a more high fidelity rendition of things. That being said, in the Winter, when there is almost no light in the late afternoon, I will probably reach for my digital camera more frequently because that little guy can literally see in the dark.

Have a pleasant weekend with lots of good light!