Sunday, November 15, 2020

Capturing the atmosphere

At the end of the summer I took my car in for its annual tune up. It's a BMW X1, super base model. No ups or extras. It is also the last model they made before they started putting the engines in sideways, so it drives nice, like a sedan, and I want to keep it around for a while.

The dealership looks like a place you'd want to take your BMW, too, as long as you stay on the immediate premises. But, naturally, I was wandering around in back with a camera while they were working on my car, and it is as if I was transported to a movie set where they were about to film the police discovering a grizzly crime scene and finding a corpse. Everything was paved over, and there were a bunch of weathered and wrecked cars scattered about, as well as an old semi trailer.  


The place was locked down. Chain link fence was everywhere and the barbed wire was overgrown with vines. In other words, I found myself in a fun location to shoot. I had a roll of Ferrania P30 loaded in the Leica R9 and the 50 mm Summilux mounted on the front. The film appears to have some orthochromatic properties (blue sensitivity), an abundance of contrast, and all this was a really good match to the mood of the scene. In my opinion, the P30 did a particularly fine job of capturing the hot and humid atmosphere of the morning.

Not quite sure what this lonely car is doing locked away in its own private long term parking lot, but this was a typical view that morning.


I knew that taking my car in for service was going to kill a few hours of my day. But I came home with a roll of decent photographs, and my car was running faster, too.