Saturday, November 28, 2020

Dancing on the head of a pin?

When going out to shoot photographs on 35 mm film, I tend to reach for a lens in the 28-60 mm focal length range. Within those limits, my comfort zone is definitely between 35 mm and 50 mm. While I'm getting more comfortable at the wider end thanks, in large part, to my cell phone, 28 mm is still a bit of a push for me. 

Sometimes, though, an even more dramatic change in perspective can lead to interesting photographs being made. Such as going out with a telephoto lens or a fisheye and nothing else. 

The first image is of water bubbles in a pond shot using a Zeiss 200 mm f/4 lens, the Contax RTS II, and a roll of Lomo Potsdam 100 film. I dragged the shutter a bit to make things more interesting in the final image. (For the record, I do have some documentary style images where everything is in crisp focus. But they are kind of boring. Just saying. And as an aside, the RTS II is one of the most pleasant shooters out there in my opinion.)


The lack of anything in the frame to establish scale adds a certain ambiguity and mystery to the photograph that I really enjoy. Perhaps this is actually an image of atoms undergoing a melting transition?

Well, there are some pretty easy ways to rule out the possibility that this image was taken at the atomic scale, right?

Anyway, sometimes you come across a lens with a truly unique focal length. One example is the Leica 250 mm f/4 telephoto lens in the R-mount. I bought a beater copy to play around with. It is heavy enough to do arm circles with and get a decent workout, so bear that in mind before you take this with you down the Grand Canyon.

This image was captured on Lomo Berlin pushed one stop to 800 with the 250 mm attached to the Leica R9 and shows the tops of some bamboo with a canopy of trees behind it. The unusual perspective makes us have to think about the scale for a beat.

Perhaps I need to go out with my fisheye next... Hmm, wait... I don't currently have one of those in my stable, but stay tuned!