Monday, November 2, 2020

Barthes's got your back...

A convenient feature of some medium format cameras like the SL66 or a Hasselblad are the interchangeable film backs. You can have a roll of black and white loaded in one back, and a roll of color in the other, for example. Whatever combination of film stocks that you want. 

Thinking about photographing a bouquet of Gerber daisies, it might seem that the obvious choice would be to capture the scene in color. To that end, one of my Rollei's film backs was loaded up with Ektar, and I do think the color image looks great. Yes, the colors are highly saturated, but not out of line.


On the other hand, some of the flowers are wilted and bent over while others appear freshly cut -  just as we would expect a bouquet of flowers to appear. What's up with that? This contrast is probably the punctum of the photograph. So why not just cut straight to the chase and present the image in black and white? To that end, my second back was loaded with a roll of Ilford Pan F+, which gave a very nice monochrome rendition of the scene.


So, which is better, color or black and white? It's kind hard to decide, if I'm honest. In general, I tend to prefer monochrome images. If pressed, I think that in this case, I actually prefer the color version. There's more to a successful photograph than punctum.