Thursday, November 12, 2020

That's so random...

Adding a dash of randomness into your process of making photographs can sometimes lead to interesting outcomes (or not, failure is possible, too). Perhaps you will discover a new way of working, gain deeper insight into why you prefer a particular subject, or find new compositional relationships. One time honored way to do this is to experiment with double/multiple exposures.

This photograph was taken a long time ago on a trip down the Natchez Trace from Nashville, TN to Natchez, MS. I found this image in my archive, but candidly, have absolutely no memory of making this frame. Upon reflection, and after a bit of head scratching, I am beginning to suspect that it was, in fact, made by my wife! Which brings up the additional important point that collaboration with a friend or partner is another great way to introduce randomness into your process.

During the pandemic, we've been streaming our share of Netflix content. I'll often have a camera nearby, and I've been playing around with trying to trip the shutter as the film or TV show fades from one scene to the next just to see what happens. Once in a while you get a surprising result, such as the image below. I count five individuals in this frame.


To reference Erwitt again, its all about noticing things.