Saturday, July 2, 2022

What's Your Daily Driver?


Over the years, I've heard plenty of stories about famous photographers using macro lenses instead of a conventional 'standard' lens. For instance, apparently Salgado had a 60 mm macro lens permanently attached to his Leica reflex camera while he kept wide angle optics on his rangefinders. This approach kind of makes sense, provided the field of view of the macro lens isn't too narrow. I enjoy shooting this way because it allows you to get in close, too. 

In the case of the Pentax 67, my favorite lens is the 135 mm f/4 Macro. You don't hear much about this lens, and I don't know any stories of famous photographers using it. Today, folks tend to favor the 105 mm lens because of it's large maximum aperture, but as far as I am concerned the 135 is a pretty solid choice as a daily driver.