Saturday, July 9, 2022

The Best Kept Vintage Secret: Cameras


A few months ago, I decided to pick up a copy of the Olympus EP2 from 2009. I think it is a beautiful object, an example of classic industrial design. And, you know what, I don't mind looking good walking down the road with a sweet camera slung over my shoulder waiting for something cool to happen. Vintage seems to be having a bit of a moment, so why not add classic cameras to the mix?

So, my teenaged Olympus EP2 arrived with a lot more of its black paint missing than expected, along with a coating of generic schmutz. But, it took me a just a couple of hours of easy work to return the camera to a pristine state. The last issue was the lens... ah, the fine art of lens pairing. After some research and seeing what was available at a reasonable price, I went with a nice silver Olympus 25 mm f/1.8. Apparently, back in the day, it was considered too expensive for what it is, but these days, it is a wonderful performer that can be purchased for around $100.


Tasting notes: camera portrait made using the Fujifilm X30 vintage camera.