Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Untold Stories


Sometimes I think that conceptual art is akin to telling a joke. The bummer is that once you hear the punch line, that's pretty much it. At any rate, I'm sure we have all dreamed up little conceptual projects, many, if not most, of which never actually see the light of day. That is a shame, I think. These days, with print-on-demand being so easy and affordable, why not do a one off? Who cares if anyone else gets it? Not everything is destined for the gallery wall. A few years back, I came up with the idea of the 'industrial palimpsest'. You see, we were on a cruise (last one I'll ever do), and I had some time on my hands between ports. The ship was passing through an area of industrial decay, and the surfaces were interesting. Kind of like a safari in a way, hunting for abstract compositions rather than big cats.