Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Objects of Desire

 


We may not like to admit it, but the marketing folks really know their stuff, making most of us pretty easy marks. Me anyway. I can still remember seeing full page ads for the original Contax T with its red sapphire shutter button back when I thankfully had no income of my own. A few decades later, I picked up a nice used copy. Happy to report that the sapphire shutter button is every bit as gorgeous as I had imagined it to be. Naturally, the fact that it is made of sapphire matters not at all. Another camera that needed to be acquired was the Fujifilm X100S. Despite the adverts, I didn't enjoy shooting with that camera all that much, and only kept it a short while. But I sure did love the fill flash it had. It seems to me that there is usually something endearing about almost every camera. Right?

Which makes me wonder: is there a camera that just plain fails on every front?