Thursday, April 21, 2022

Days of Heaven


The late afternoon sun was passing through a stand of bamboo in our yard and the atmosphere was similar to the memories I have of seeing the film ‘Days of Heaven’ so long ago. It was a feeling I wanted to capture on film. I had a roll of HP5+ in my Fuji 690 BL from the 1960s. It is the second copy of the camera I have owned, as the first one died in my hands while shooting a couple of years ago. There is something special about the large 6x9 cm negatives, especially when using the 100 mm f/3.5 lens. The level of detail and atmosphere is unique to my eyes. I digitized the negative using a modern camera rather than my scanner, and inverted the color file which I adjusted to taste in photoshop. I’ve been enjoying the split tone look this simple treatment gives.

Tasting notes: Fuji 690 BL, 100 mm f/3.5 lens, Ilford HP5+, DDX 1+4 for 8 min, digital camera scan.