Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A View with a Zoom


Aw, hell, I did it again. New camera. I picked up a shiny used copy of the Olympus Stylus 1, a camera that never got the love I feel it deserved at the time it was released all the way back in the Fall of 2013. At that moment in the space-time continuum, you may recall that many thought that small sensor compact cameras were going the way of the dinosaurs. With the perspective provided by the passage of nearly a decade, perhaps we can revisit these old fossils to see if they are of any current interest.

One of the first things I do when I pick up a new camera is to take it with me on a walk around the block. I have certain shots that I like to use as my test compositions, I'm sure you're the same. One of the stand out features of the little Olympus is it's 300 mm equivalent reach at the telephoto end of its zoom. Zooming in tight is a nice way to transform your suburban neighborhood into a pristine woodland, should you want to do such a thing.

Tasting notes: Olympus Stylus 1, converted to black-and-white in Lightroom.