Monday, November 1, 2021

Taking a deep dive on a single film emulsion?


One of the aspects of shooting film that I really enjoy is the wide variety of interesting emulsions on the market. Over the past five years, I've tended to try as many films as possible, and I've sure had a lot of fun doing that. Recently, though, I've been considering settling down and spending some quality time with a single emulsion, digging in, and just getting to know it inside and out for several months. For one thing, I'd like to get reliable negatives to simplify my darkroom printing routine. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time deciding on 'the one'. The two films that I have worked with most recently --Fomapan 100 and Ilford Delta 400 -- are amazing, but not what I'm looking for, somehow. 

Today's image was made on Delta 400, shot at box speed and developed normally in DD-X according to Ilford's instructions. It was converted using a Canon digital camera and adjusted in Photoshop. I used the Leicaflex SL mot and the original 50mm f/2 lens to capture the image. Candidly, this is a killer set up. But, the coolest new discovery I've made is related to how I dry my film. More on that later.