Thursday, November 4, 2021

Contax G lenses on digital: clunky but cool


I purchased an old Contax G1 before all the insanity with these cameras kicked in and they became somewhat precious objects for the second time. These days, I don't shoot this old camera as often as I should out of fear that it might turn in to a brick at a moment's notice. Which is kind of a shame because the lenses are nothing short of phenomenal. Most old film lenses can be adapted using an inexpensive dumb adapter -- essentially a light tight tube. However, in order to use these old Contax lenses with your digital camera you'll need to find an adapter that couples to the primitive 1990s screwdrive autofocusing mechanism. You can imagine my delight when I found an old adapter at the bottom of a drawer! I immediately attached the 28 mm lens to my cropped sensor camera and got reacquainted with this lovely chunk of vintage glass. One of my subjects was a low light shot of my two favorite chairs. That's what happens when you make an important discovery after the sun goes down.