Thursday, April 15, 2021

Shoot local


While I certainly miss traveling to new locations to make photographs, I think there is also something to be said about really getting to know your local environment. For one thing, you almost certainly will come away with some unique images. For another, you never know when you might decide to relocate. Life can be funny that way, and you'll probably want a few photographs to remember your favorite old haunts by. Too, every once in a while, you get an image that really pleases you, that is just as good as anything you could have gotten in an exotic location. I shot this image the other day using the Fujifilm GA645Zi, which is a camera I've enjoyed using over many years. I find that I really enjoy the 4:3 aspect ratio. The autofocus is from the 90's so you always have to be mindful of that. The camera has a zoom lens with a very short range of 55-90 mm. The way I've come to think about this is that it is a slightly adjustable 70 mm lens, which is a 'standard' field of view for the 6x4.5 cm format. The ability to slightly change your framing can be a real godsend, but if you truly want a different perspective you're going to actually have to physically move your ass a little bit.