Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Bokeh ennui?

 


My father was stationed in Asia during his long stint in the U.S. Army. He brought home a large number of tchotchkes from his travels, and these objects became part of what my brother and I experienced every day growing up. In fact, we both still have a few of these items among our own possessions, like this old buddha from Thailand. I have an old Leitz 90mm f/2.5 Colorplan projector lens that I purchased to use with my 4x5 camera. I did not like the look this lens produced on large format film all that much, so now I am slowly but surely adapting it for use on a digital camera instead. In the meantime, I've tried capturing a few images by 'freelensing' with it. With a fixed f/2.5 aperture at 90mm, the blur is pretty intense, especially close up.

I keep thinking that photographers will grow bored with bokeh, but I have my doubts. The other day, I ordered some fresh salmon from a local merchant. He sent me a picture of a platter of whole fish taken using portrait mode on his phone. Damn fine looking fish against a blurry background. I definitely bought a couple filets.