Wednesday, March 22, 2023

How I Chunked Out During the Pandemic


Like countless others, I suppose, I got into sourdough bread making during Covid. It seemed like such a perfect pandemic pastime to me. And it sure was fun, since I had always wanted to try. Soon enough, though, things spiraled out of control a little bit as they are wont to do. Somehow, the ole lizard brain concluded that discarding a little bit of the starter when adding more flour was a wasteful thing to do, and so, in due course, my morning sourdough pancake ritual was born. In the beginning, I just fried up a little bit of starter and ate it as a snack. Over time, things became more and more elaborate. First, cheese became involved, lots and lots of cheese. Naturally, meat and eggs soon followed and within a few weeks, I was consuming a fourth meal.