Thursday, March 2, 2023

A Rather Pleasant Encounter With A Couple Of Old Friends


I was rearranging some of the clutter in one of my studio cabinets the other day when I stumbled across an old lens I haven't used in literally ages. Somehow or other, I acquired a copy of the Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 zoom, a lens from the height of the film era ('70s -'80s). I can no longer remember why the heck I picked this thing up, but copies are in the $100 range these days. I used it in combination with my only Nikon digital camera, the venerable and also pretty long in the tooth D800 from over a decade ago. I guess it would also qualify as a classic, at least in digital terms. At any rate, I was using this combo to document the recently completed renovations of our house when I saw that one of our redbuds is in bloom. Shot wide open at f/4... Not bad for a 40+ year old manual focus optic and a 10+ year old camera. Pretty nice way to get into landscape photography for not a lot of money, it seems to me.