Monday, March 27, 2023

Painful Concerns

A favorite book on my shelf is "Stems" by Lee Friedlander. The book's introduction begins, "... in the throes of aching knees and painful concern about them, I decided I had better prepare myself for a sedentary life..."

As a photographer, how would you prepare for a sedentary life, a radical reduction in mobility? My in laws live in a retirement community, a land-based cruise ship of sorts. What would I photograph if I were living in such a place? Frankly, I've never seen anyone documenting life in that place, so I guess there is an opportunity waiting. A chance for a famous photo essay, should I only be brave enough to seize the opportunity. Stay tuned. In the meantime, would I be up to the challenge? I'd probably start with still lives, as I wouldn't want anyone to know I had been shuffled off to a 'home'.