Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Catching Up With My Inner Child


When I was but a wee lad, my first 'serious' camera was something called a Sears TLS. I saved up my allowance money and bought it to document the life and times of my pet iguana. That was a thing back in the day, I guess, pet lizards. Anyway, after the requisite reptile portraits were in the can, one of the first photography experiments I tried involved misting my UV filter with a little bit of water, placing it in the freezer for an hour, then re-mounting it to my lens, and snapping a few photos of the lights on our Christmas tree. You see, folks, photographers have been interested in diffusion and blur since, like, forever. I must have read about that little parlor trick in Popular Photography. Fast forward a couple of decades to when we first moved into our current house. There were quite a few spiders occupying the place at the time. The old window glass had enough imperfections to create some pretty interesting bokeh. I suppose you could say that I got back in touch with my inner child as I framed up this little snap. Is that such a bad thing?