Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Fall is for Film?


During the doggiest days of summer, I find that I do not really want to shoot film. I guess I've gotten enough bad shots in bad light that I don't really need to repeat that experience anymore. So, I tend to reach for a digital camera instead. But as the season slowly changes over to fall, I start to think more seriously about shooting film again. 

I think the Nikkormat FS might just be the perfect film camera to take with you on a walk for some casual shooting. Just to keep your eye in as they say. It is a real no ups, no extras kind of camera. Bare bones, sufficient. On this afternoon, it was loaded with Foma 100 and I had a period correct 50 mm f/2 on the front. The FS is not burdened with a built in light meter, so I made my exposures using the Sunny 16 rule. I developed the Foma in DDX developer and got 36 decently exposed negatives. Mostly the photographs were pretty boring, though, and to my further dismay, it looks like my manual focusing skills are a little bit rusty.