Saturday, December 4, 2021

The smallest camera


I had three pieces in a museum show that opened last night. The museum is a two and a half hour drive from our place, and it is always so tempting to wave your hands, blow the whole thing off at the last minute, and just stream a movie from the comfort of the sofa. Thankfully, sharing driving duties makes such a trip much more palatable. I'm glad we went, too, as one of my pieces won an award. It would have been cheesy not to be there. As we were walking to grab sushi for dinner, we noticed the setting sun illuminating the tops of some buildings. I made the decision to place the plane of focus on the fence rather than on the brick facades. Then I had second thoughts and shot again focused on the buildings this time. In the end, my first instinct turned out to be the right one, as it so often does.

There is one funny thing that often happens at photography openings which I'd kind of forgotten about due to the pandemic. Folks often show up to these events with their biggest and fanciest cameras draped around their necks. Just struttin' their stuff, I guess. I had my tiny Canon M6 with me and did not dare to take it out. :)