Saturday, October 7, 2023

Phone Or Dedicated Camera?


A friend of mine loves to shoot his food; he's one of a new generation of food documentarians out there putting their phone cameras to good use. He told me he uses Portrait Mode to get the best subject separation. That's certainly what I'd do if I wanted to have a permanent record of my dinners. But, I have to admit, I don't have much interest in documenting my meal experiences. 

Still, I did really enjoy the way the liberated pomegranate seeds looked in this bowl. It's funny, in the kitchen, I'm not at all in favor of owning tools that only do one thing, like pitting an olive, for example. I'd rather just bash the olive with the side of my chef's knife and take out the pit with my fingers. But in photography, it seems, I really do prefer using a dedicated camera to make images.