Thursday, August 31, 2023

A Strange Lens From The Past


My most recent online auction adventure started with the purchase of a set of old photography magazines (mine are all from the 1970s) and ended with the acquisition of a funky old lens. The magazine was called simply 'Camera' and was published in Switzerland. I thought I had heard of most of the famous magazines, but obviously not. The artwork is interesting certainly, especially the early work of some now famous photographers, but my immediate fascination was with the advertising. For instance, I saw an ad for a Sigma 135mm lens with a special 'pan-focus' setting of f/64. A pan-focus, telephoto lens, hence the label Pantel. Hehe, I get it. So, I decided to see if any were for sale. Sure enough, I found a mint condition copy for $30. It is a nice enough chunk of glass and metal. While I haven't had the opportunity to test the pan-focus function yet, the lens isn't too bad as a regular imager.