Sunday, August 21, 2022

Poor Humpty Dumpty


Are you able to distance yourself from the emotional content of your photographs and home in on a consideration of their more technical properties? One of the benefits of putting your work out there is that your precious little eggies become a little less so. It reminds me of those scenes in police procedurals, my favorite being the Endeavour series, where the team gathers 'round the corpse to discuss the autopsy findings. At some level, our images are just slabs of meat, too, I reckon. I took this photograph on a trip to the Gulf Coast a couple of months prior to the onset of the pandemic. I'm particularly fond of the entire set, but why? Is it just the nostalgia surrounding my last pre-Covid travels? The wonderful light at sunset on the beach? Can anything be attributed to the technical properties of the image? The lens used? The camera?