Thursday, September 28, 2023

And So It Goes...


In the days before everything in our lives went online, displaying our vast collection of books was a convenient way for us to flex. You know, covering all of the available wall space in the house with those black aluminum bookshelves nearly toppling under the weight of the Derrida and Foucault? Later upgraded to Ikea shelving. Our friends most certainly must have been impressed! They kept coming over to our house after all. 

But wait, there's more to it... Let me explain. At some point pretty early on, I quit pretending I had much interest in French philosophy and converted from hoarding scholarly works to cookbooks. I don't really cook from them in the typical way, not wanting to get 'em dirty. But I've read through them all and in fact, that's how I learned to cook. What I'm saying is, I think that good food was important, too. 

Sadly, these days, with all the specialized eating, I tend to shy away from doing that much fancy cooking. Fortunately, our walls are now more or less completely covered with our art. And so it goes...